All groups who are interested in volunteering should call a month or two before the time you would like to volunteer to reserve a day:
- Single volunteers on weekdays must call ahead to reserve a day
- On the weekend’s single volunteers are welcome and need not call ahead
- Follow staff instructions and the advice of veteran volunteers (tasks are simple and do not require much training)
- Treat guests and anyone who enters the kitchen with dignity and respect
- Be friendly, organized, and productive while you are here.
Since beginning in 1979, volunteers have been integral to the mission of Jubilee Soup Kitchen and a vital part of the community that includes staff, guests, and other volunteers. Guests come for food. Jubilee is committed to providing respect, hospitality, and a welcoming space where their spirits can grow. We encourage our volunteers to extend themselves to our guests in whatever ways they are comfortable.
Kitchen Volunteers are needed 365 days a year from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM. Most volunteers help for the entire time, but there is flexibility. They:
- Prepare some of the food
- Serve the noon-day hot meal
- Help staff in cleaning up and washing dishes
- Working in our Community Garden
- Helping in our Clothing Room
While you are volunteering please check in with STAFF:
- Monday through Friday: Dave, Floyd or Heather
- Saturday/Sunday: Butch or Dan
- Community Service or School Requirement:
- Paul (Mon-Fri.)
- Dan or Butch (Sat./Sun.)
Here are some things you need to know when volunteering at the soup kitchen:
- Be courteous to all of our guest
- Always wear gloves when handling any food
- Always wash fruit & vegetables before cutting the food
- If you touch the broom, mop dust pan, and door handle please put on a clean pair of gloves.
- On weekdays must call ahead to reserve a day
- On the weekend’s single volunteers are welcome and need not call ahead.
Groups of Volunteers:
- Jubilee welcomes groups of volunteers, the contact person should phone ahead to reserve a date.
Age Requirement: Volunteers must be at least 13 years old.
Court Ordered Community Service Information:
Jubilee Association, Inc. provides volunteer opportunities for individuals who need court-ordered community service hours. This agreement below explains the requirements and expectations for this type of volunteer work.
Applications must be approved by the Volunteer Coordinator before you may begin performing community service;
- We cannot accept community service volunteers under the age of 18
- Internet Crimes
- Acts of violence (battery, domestic violence, any type of assault)
- Breaking and entering (Burglary and/or Robbery)
- Sex-Related Crimes and
- Possession of cocaine or heroin.
How to Register:
- All community service volunteer must register in person & bring a copy of their photo ID
- Their original court/community service documents to the registration.
Transportation to Jubilee Soup Kitchen:
- Jubilee Kitchen is located at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Jumonville, midway between Oakland and Downtown
- PAT Bus service along the Fifth-Forbes Avenue corridor
- Parking available on Fifth Avenue or on Wyandotte Street.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where is Jubilee Kitchen?
A: The kitchen is located at 2005 Wyandotte St. off of 5th Avenue in the lower hill district,
Mid-point between Oakland and downtown Pittsburgh.
Q: Is there parking available?
A: Yes, you can park your car near the kitchen.
Q: How should I dress?
A: Dress is casual.
Q: Is there an age restriction?
A: All volunteers are welcome from the age of 13 and up.
Q: What should you bring?
A: Please don’t bring anything valuable into the kitchen. Personal belonging should be kept in the trunk of your car or at home.
Q: How many people will be there?
A: There are usually about 150 to 200 men and women served at the lunch hour. Most of them
Q: Do you accept Court-Ordered Community Service Hours?
A: YES. Jubilee does accept court-ordered community service hours only on weekdays but not on weekends.
A: However, we do accept community service hours towards schooling or extra-curricular activities seven days a week.
Q: What time does the luncheon start?
A: We offer a simple breakfast (coffee and rolls) at 9:30 a.m. Lunch is from 11:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Volunteers should arrive around 9:00 am to 9:30 am to help set up and prepare the food. Take-outs start at 12:30 p.m.
Q: What do they like to eat and how much?
A: The men and women at the kitchen are always graciously appreciative of our help no matter what is served and some have big appetites. A meat entrée, perhaps potato or pasta, a vegetable and salad, bread and butter and of course dessert can be included in the meal. There doesn’t seem to be a formula for how much should be prepared. “Suggested” serving sizes aren’t always trustworthy.
Q: How many volunteers can show up?
A: Single volunteers on weekdays must call ahead to reserve a day.
A: On the weekend’s single volunteers are welcome and need not call ahead.
A: Jubilee welcomes groups of volunteers, the contact person should phone ahead to reserve a date.
Q: Can volunteers take things from the soup kitchen?
A: NO. If a volunteer is in need of help, please see the program director.
Q: How can I get involved?
A: Call Father Paul (412) 261-5417 to get things started or to ask any questions that didn’t make this list. Call at 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.